- Escape: They try to escape day-to-day problems and stress.
- Problems: They have psychological or psychiatric problems such as depression or anxiety which may lead them to gamble.
- “Big” wins early: Many players win “big”, early on in their gambling experience, and continue to pursue winning without success.
- Irrational beliefs: Many have flawed belief systems that rely heavily on superstition and other irrational thoughts.
- Lack of control: Many have difficulty controlling their impulse to gamble once they start.
Source: Promoting Community Awareness of Problem Gambling Resource Package (c) 2001 Centre for Addiction and Mental Health